If you meet the following criteria, you may qualify for an additional Homestead Exemption in Putnam County. This additional exemption is for the portion of your tax bill associated with the Board of County Commissioners only.
* You must own and reside on the property as of January 1.
* You must meet the eligibility requirements for the original $25,000 homestead exemption.
* At least one owner living in your home must be 65 or older as of January 1 of the year for which you are applying. Proof of age must be provided such as a driver’s license.
* You must have a total household-adjusted income that does not exceed the amount allowed for the year in which you are applying. The allowed total household adjusted income is subject to change each year. Contact our office to obtain the current amount.
Total household adjusted income means the adjusted gross income of all members of the household. Proof of income will need to be provided either by a copy of your Federal Income Tax Return Form 1040 or if you do not file an income tax return, you will need to submit a copy of your SSA 1099 together with proof of other additional income, i.e. interests, rents, dividends, etc.
Additionally, if you meet the requirements above, have lived in your home for 25 consecutive years or more, and the just value of the home is less than $250,000, you may be eligible for another senior exemption. Contact our office for further details.
January 1 through March 1, however, late applications can be taken due to extenuating circumstances.
* Palatka Office, 312 Oak Street, Palatka FL, 386-329-0286
* Crescent City and Interlachen satellite offices are manned part-time in January and February. Call our office for hours of operation.